At FOSS4G 2009, 183 quality presentations were submitted, and there was only 85 speaking slots. In 2010 it is likely to be much harder, as there is expected to be 2 to 3 times more delegates and many more hopeful presenters.
In 2009 the community ranked potential presentations, and some of the highest ranked presentations targeted the comparison of popular packages. Unfortunately, there were only a few of these types of presentations.
The presentations were:
- Ranked 2: The WMS Performance Shootout
- Ranked 8: PostGIS and Oracle Spatial
- Ranked 9: There is no alternative to Openlayers...? (discussing OpenLayers vs other AJAX clients)
However, I strongly suggest that projects start teaming together to put together such presentations for 2010.
In particular, I'd love to see comparisons between:
- Geospatial Desktop applications
- Geospatial Browser based applications
- Geospatial Servers (WMS, WFS, Tiled Services at the very least)
- ease of setup or use
So who wants to participate?