ADI is about to develop an in house Measurement Repository tool to address CMMI requirements for project measures.
This will be an effective, professional tool that has the potential to be sold to the broader community. There are currently no plans to sell the tool as the cost of promotion probably outweigh potential sales.
ADI would do well to Open Source the core Measurement Repository software and make money by selling services to the Software.
Key benefits from open sourcing the software include:
- ADI can sell software module enhancements for enterprise customers.
- ADI can sell support to enterprise customers.
- Open source developers will enhance the software and ADI will benefit from these enhancements.
- The software needs to be built upon Open Source components so that users can download a free product.
- ADI needs to retain ownership of the source code.