- OGP Commitment 5.2: Enhance public participation in government decision making.
- OGP Assessed Progress: Substantial.
- My Assessment: Tick the box participation has been achieved, but effective public participation is hard and there is much more to be done.
So before claiming "substantial progress" in public participation, please assign someone with sufficient technical capability to understand our report, and sufficient mandate to initiate improvements.
Reiterating our prior recommendations:
- Acknowledge that the indicators for success are more than just “value for money” and “mitigation of risk”.
- Measure and prioritise:
- “Effectiveness of collaboration”,
- “Sustainability in the face of rapid innovation”, and
- “Resilience to monopolistic behaviours”.
- Develop an “Open Government Maturity Model” which describes open government goals and the processes required to achieve them.
- Measure effectiveness at realising open government goals.
- Arm decision makers with accessible, evidence based research into what works, so they can trust, select and defend collaborative strategies which are often counter-intuitive within traditional hierarchically managed organisations.
- Use, extend, or create open technologies, in that order:
- Use existing open material if it exists;
- Otherwise extend and give back;
- As a last resort, create your own system.