A Web Processing Service (WPS) provides a standard interface for applying spatial algorithms.It is particularly useful for:
- Reducing complexity in data processing by providing plug & play algorithms.
- Enabling processes to be chained together.
- Enabling processing to be deployed once then used everywhere.
- Streamlined maintenance. Processes/models are maintained in a central place by the entities who created them.
- Taking advantage of high-speed computational capabilities on a central server.
- Easy and interoperable access to highly complex processes, such as climate change models.